Thursday, July 5, 2012

camp tinker: sandscape terrarium

Happy July and thank you for stopping by to see what Camp Tinker is all about. As mentioned in my previous post, Camp Tinker aims to be a series of summertime posts featuring simple and enjoyable craft projects. It also serves as a little "craft lab" for me to try out new ideas and twists. This post's project is a sort of no-fail terrarium.



Ready, Campers?!



For the "findings" think of small seaside-related items such as a tiny starfish meant for scrapbooking, little shells, glass beads, pebbles, wired roses.



Let's begin by making a beachy fence by cutting craft sticks a bit more than half-way, as shown.



Next, glue two pieces of string across the sticks to form a fence; let dry completely and snip loose ends.



Gather all of your supplies. Grab anything that you have in your craft-stash that you think would be pretty. No craft stash? Look around for broken jewelry or beads, small rocks and sprigs of plants -- real or faux. Digging through my own supplies, I rediscovered a bag of shells spray-painted white and among them scallop shells saved from a restaurant. (Yikes!?)



Yep, I even had a coffee cup filled with sand and lavender sprigs saved from December so I poured that into the vase; it wasn't quite enough sand so I mixed in some table salt until it was the amount and shade I liked best.



I added the little fence in the sand and then played and placed things about.



When my beach scene was to my liking, I decided to place it on a large plate and surround it with shells.



For variations, create scenes using small toys or miniatures or add a candle. So many possibilities! Imagine a row of jars, each filled with sand and treasures ...

MORE FUN WITH SAND
Use emptied bags from lunch at the beach to take sand home; fill bottles and label. Fill other bottles with sea glass to create a sparkling vignette.



xo
elyse

{Please feel free to share completed projects on the Tinkered Treasures Facebook page}

11 comments:

Rose Brier Studio said...

elyse, your your sandscape terrarium is charming! I love the creativity. thanks so much for sharing!
~Marilee

NanaDiana said...

That is a darling project! This is one my grandkids would love to make- Thanks so much~~~ xo Diana

vivian said...

so cute. I love the sandy center piece! Its time to get my summery seashelly things out! I always keep my patriotic things out from flag day in june til about a week or so after the 4th, then I go on to seashells and beachy things! I already have a little sandbox out on my desk at work. I think Youve inspired me to get the rest out this weekend!
have a great day
xoxo

Anonymous said...

Very cute! And now I want to go to the beach! Oh, and I also want to give my glue bottle a make over. ♥

Sandi said...

You make tinkering look beautiful Elyse!!
hugs~

Gabriela Delworth - Instructional Designer said...

Hello Elyse,


Love it!


Gabriela

Melinda said...

Another great project! Cute.

:)

Bumpkin Hill said...

What a cute project, so glad to have visited today. Catherine x

fairiemoon said...

I shared a tutorial yesterday as well. Yours are fun!

Erin :)

http://www.fairiemoon.typepad.com/

Diane Mars said...

Well isn't that just too cute for words! I love it and I know my grands would just love it! Great share~Diane

Audrey/Kicks 'n' Giggles Nursery said...

Such a cute and clever idea! Thank you for sharing!
Hugs,
Audrey www.kicksngigglesnursery.blogspot.com