Thursday, March 7, 2013

london: day 2


A chintz treat for M of {oc cottage}
Yesterday I posted about my second day in London and while attempting to figure out some formatting issues (I don't want text-wrapped images!) not only did I accidentally delete the post but messed up much of the design of my blog. I actually had struggled with that post a bit, so here's to a second chance of sharing about my second day in London and a fresh look for my blog.
Bunting, bikes, books!
Okay, so day two in London we took the tube to Notting Hill (and sorry, I haven't seen the movie yet) to our highly recommended destination of Portobello Road, famous for its busy street market full of antique and artisan shops and stalls. The area was busy and bustling with people and the air was filled with aromas and sizzle from a myriad of food vendors.

My 2nd Cath Kidston
Portobello Road also had the added attraction for me of having a Cath Kidston shop ("No pictures, please!" Sorry.) What did I buy? The kinds of little things that even I wouldn't be able to justify paying shipping costs for: an eraser, spools of ribbon, nested tins, paper napkins, lip balm.

and a {GASP} Rachel Ashwell Shabby Chic store ("I said you could take some pictures ..." Sorry.) which was just as breathtaking as I had imagined it would be. What did I buy? Two overdyed napkins which have no plans to be near any dinner table and a pretty fabric corsage type of thing. I also asked and received a little fabric swatch. Continuous small treats, right?

Birthplace of Shabby Chic
We enjoyed a full day of meandering through shops, stopping for lunch, and buying souvenirs.

Fifi's book at Harrods
In the early evening we took a taxi to the luxurious department store Harrod's, where I mostly kept my camera mostly tucked away but assure you that it was quite impressive. I did manage to sneak a pic when I saw my fairygodmother Fifi O'Neill's first book; we were also thrilled to find a copy of Victoria magazine featuring my sister Betsy's lovely essay, Winter Comes.

Day 2 was another delightful day in London. Each night I barely slept, excited about what I had done and seen and looking forward to the next day's plans. Stay tuned for Day 3: Meeting the brilliant stylist and author, Selina Lake (!!!).

xo
elyse

Note:
Italics have been replaced by this color since they appear wonktacular in this font.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks you so much for hanging in there and posting, Elyse!

Lovely chintz and pics! I can just imagine how excited you were and I can imagine how hard it would be to sleep! ♥

(I'm no help with blogger. I'm so disappointed with it, I could cry! It used to be like my own little magazine but now, each post is like learning how to blog all over again. Yuck.)

Twyla and Lindsey said...

Thank you so much for sharing your adventure with us, Elyse! Have a marvelous time! Twyla

Anonymous said...

So much fun! Wish I could have been there too. I took pictures outside of Cath Kidston looking in...I guess I didn't take any inside...I was busy planning my purchases.

There used to be a Shabby Chic store in San Francisco when I lived there. it was delicious. I have all but one of her books, I think.

Elyse said...

Oh, Alison! I wish I'd known! Hopefully there will be a next time.
xo

Elyse said...

Oh, Alison! I wish I'd known! Hopefully there will be a next time.
xo

NanaDiana said...

I could have sworn I commented here earlier-duh-guess not.
Anyway,what wonderful pictures. It looks like you had a really wonderful time- the trip of a lifetime! xo Diana

Gabriela Delworth - Instructional Designer said...

Hello Elyse,

What a wonderful trip! These photos are awesome!


Gabriela

koralee said...

What JOY....xox

Anonymous said...

The problem with going to London is that you don't want to return home. You've mentioned several places that my daughter & I visited. Sigh. All so very lovely.
Looking forward to reading/seeing more! :)
Hugs,
Zuzu

Kit said...

Oh how much fun you are having! Love the pics even tho you are having some issues with them. Your blog looks fine so don't fret and have a lovely time! Kit

hong kong property said...

those teacups look really nice

SLR said...

oh such fun...Cath and Rachel in one day!! how wonderful Portobello Rd and Notting Hill must have been!